What is an Unlock the Past Expo?
What should I expect?
An Unlock the Past expo consists of a reasonable size exhibition (on average 40+ tables) as well as other interesting features, such as a presentation stream, workshops, and product demonstrations. The exhibition will contain a wide variety of local and national organisations, business and societies, in line with the expo theme.
You will be free to wander around the exhibition hall, as well as attend any of the other features, at your leisure.
If presentations are available to attend, they may be charged separately, depending on the price structure of the event.
What do I bring?
- Pen and notepad. Laptops are handy as well for the presentations
- If the expo runs all day, prepare some food to bring or take money to buy something
How can I prepare before the expo?
- Review all event information given beforehand by going to the event listing on the Unlock the Past website.
- Pre-register if the option is available, as this will save time upon arrival as well as possibly win you a prize.
- If a program is available, study it carefully. If you go with a friend or family member, you might like to attend different seminars (if there is more than one stream) and compare notes later.
- Check out the location of the venue - where to park, costs, public transportation, etc. Make sure you leave enough time to arrive early, particularly if there is a registration process involved. An early arrival also gives you time to locate the theatres, toilets, water stations, food places and exhibit tables.
- See who the speakers will be and, if available, read their biographies to discover what their specialties are. You might like to come prepared with questions for them if the occasion arises.
- Be prepared for other attendees to be researching the same names, areas, etc. as you are; perhaps you might even meet a relative you didn't know you had! Create your own 'business cards' (even if you don't have a business) and be ready to hand them out to those interested. Bring spare paper to write down their details as well.
- Be prepared to write down EVERYTHING! You are going to get a lot of information in a short amount of time, so don't simply assume that you'll remember it all. This includes interesting points heard during the talks, interesting products and services, names of people you meet, things you'd like to follow up on.