John has been actively involved in genealogy since he started researching his own family in 1975. His interests subsequently expanded to embrace local history, in particular the area of the South Coast of NSW centred on the town of Gerringong. He has written five books on aspects of local history of the area, and co-authored a sixth.
From 1998 until 2005 John was head of the Sydney Dead Persons Society, during which time the DPS founded the Ryerson Index.
John is currently President of Ryerson Index Inc. Since retiring after a 40-year career in IT, John is now a full-time genealogist.
John is a life member of Gerringong HS, and a member of Shoalhaven FHS; Richmond-Tweed FHS and Toowoomba-Darling Downs FHS.
- 19th Century Migration from the South Coast to the Richmond River
- Business Continuity Planning for Local Societies
- Early Settlers of the Southern Illawarra and Northern Shoalhaven
- How to Effectively use the New South Wales BDM Indexes
- Indexing for Genealogists and Local Historians
- Linking Local History and Genealogy Research
- Researching in Country Newspapers
- The Ryerson Index