South Australia & Victorian Border Expo (Mt Gambier) - Program
Click on the following for more information
- Speaker notes
- Talk summaries
- PDF of EXPO PROGRAM
- SPECIAL EVENING PROGRAM (Friday). Brenton Manser and The Vanguard. The tickets for the concert will be $10 for those registered for the Expo and $15 for those attending the concert only. See the Special Feature page for further details.
- PROGRAM CHANGES
- Which Genealogy Program has been cancelled (software help visit the Research Help Zone)
- 1942 War comes to Australia is moved to the 11am Saturday time slot
- a new talk Tracing English ancestors, by Kerry Farmer, has been added at 10.20 Saturday
If you have booked already for the expo and wish to add the new Tracing English ancestors presentation, you may purchase tickets on the day. It is helpful if you email us with your intention to attend this talk - firstname.lastname@example.org
PROGRAM FRIDAY 22 JULY 2011
|From||To||Lecture Theatre ||Multipurpose Room|
|9.00am||Exhibition throughout the day|
|10.00am||10.45am||FamilySearch: ancestors at your fingertips - Paul Parton||Regional libraries - several contributors FREE|
|11.00am||11.45am||Asylums: Looking for the sick, the poor & the aged – Shauna Hicks||DNA for genealogists – Kerry Farmer|
|12.00noon||12.45pm||Identifying and dating old photographs - Graham Jaunay||Regional family history societies - several contributors FREE|
|1.45pm||2.15pm||Findmypast.co.uk: an introduction - Rosemary Kopittke||Regional museums in South East South Australia and Western Victoria - Judy Murdoch FREE|
|2.25pm||3.10pm||SA's major archives for family historians - Graham Jaunay||Regional newspapers: a wonderful resource, featuring the Border Watch 150 years on - Graham Greenwood|
|3.20pm||4.05pm||Google your family tree: Tips & tricks - Shauna Hicks||Community history: research and writing - Judy Murdoch and Pam O'Connor, Kanawinka Writers and Historians|
|4.15pm||5.00pm||Our early citizen soldiers: volunteers and militia prior to the First World War - Andrew Kilsby||Connecting with family lines online - Rosemary Kopittke|
|5.30pm||7.30pm||Expo Dinner - join the Unlock the Past Team for a meal and informal networking with presenters and exhibitors|
|7.30pm||9.00pm||SPECIAL EVENING PROGRAM|
Songs from the South Coast by Brenton Manser and The Vanguard
PROGRAM SATURDAY 23 JULY 2011
|From||To||Lecture Theatre||Multipurpose Room|
|7.30am||8.30am||Join the Unlock the Past team for breakfast at Tenison|
|9.00am||Exhibition throughout the day|
|9.30am||10.10am||FamilySearch: more records to more people faster - Paul Parton||Regional history societies - several contributors FREE|
|10.20am||10.50am||Genealogical Society of Victoria: GSV @ Home - Susie Zada FREE||Tracing English ancestors - Kerry Farmer - new topic|
|11.00m||11.40am||Are you making the most of TROVE? - Shauna Hicks||1942 War comes to Australia - Alan Phillips FREE change of time|
|11.50am||12.20pm||Findmypast.com.au: what is there, what is coming and how to use it – Rosemary Kopittke||South Australian Genealogy & Heraldry Society - Richard Sullivan FREE|
|1.20pm||2.00pm||Australia's ANZAC Heritage – Neil Smith||Sewerage records: an untapped magnificent resource - Susie Zada|
|2.10pm||2.50pm||South Australia and Victoria in war: the story of the 9th Light Horse and men from the region who served - Andrew Kilsby||Social media for family historians - Carole Riley|
|3.00pm||3.40pm||Its not all online: where else can I look? - Shauna Hicks||Australian government & police gazettes – Carole Riley |
|3.50pm||4.30pm||ScotlandsPeople: the place to launch your Scottish research - Rosemary Kopittke||Uncommitted|
- There is a charge to attend each main presentation of $5. Some presentations are FREE - as indicated.
- Tickets for the main talks will be available for purchase prior to the event (by Monday 19 July) through this website or by phone; also at expo (subject to room capacity and numbers pre-booked). For those who book in advance, tickets will be available at the registration desk, with your registration kit when you arrive.
- The dinner after the Expo closes on the Friday is open to all. You are invited to join speakers, exhibitors, the Unlock the Past team and others. It will be held at the venue and will be moderately priced. Further details will be advised to all who have pre-registered near the Expo date.
- If you book online you will receive an email confirmation of your Expo booking with talks you have pre-booked. Please print this and bring it with you to facilitate entry.
- There will be hundreds of dollars worth of Expo special offers, prizes and more.