Researching abroad: Finding British Isles and European Ancestors
8 Aug 2017 9:00am - 26 Aug 2017 4:30pm
- various cities
- Australia, Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales, New Zealand, Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, Western Australia
- Cost: to be advised
- 08 8263 2055
BOOKINGS NOW OPEN
Click on your city of choice (below) for program and booking form
- BRISBANE - Tue-Wed 8-9 Aug - CLICK HERE for Brisbane program and other details
Kedron-Wavell Services Club, Chermside South - 9am-4.30pm each day
- AUCKLAND - Fri-Sun 11-13 Aug (Auckland expo organised by the Auckland Library)
Fickling Convention Centre, Three Kings, Auckland
- SYDNEY - Tue-Wed 15-16 Aug - CLICK HERE for Sydney program and other details
Parramatta RSL, Parramatta - 9am-4.30pm each day
- MELBOURNE - Fri-Sat 18-19 Aug - CLICK HERE for Melbourne program and other details
Veneto Club, Bulleen - 9am-4.30pm each day
- CANBERRA - Mon 21 Aug - CLICK HERE for Canberra program and other details
The Harmonie German Club of Canberra, Narrabundah - 9am-4.30pm
- ADELAIDE - Wed-Thu 23-24 Aug - Adelaide - CLICK HERE for Adelaide program and other details
The German Club, Adelaide - 9am-4.30pm each day
- PERTH - Sat 26 Aug - Perth - CLICK HERE for Perth program and other details
State Library of WA, Perth - 9am-4.30pm
Each city will have a two-stream program
- Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne & Adelaide
- British Isles stream one day – headed by Chris Paton
- European/German stream the other day – headed by Dirk Weissleder
- Canberra and Perth - both streams the same day in two separate theatres
- Auckland - Chris and Dirk will be key presenters in the wider expo program
Supporting presentations will be given by major libaries and societies in each city.
Chris Paton (Scotland) www.britishgenes.blogspot.co.uk
Originally from Northern Ireland, Chris Paton is a Scottish based professional genealogist, running the Scotland’s Greatest Story ancestral research service (www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk). He is a regular contributor to several UK and Ireland based family history publications, and author of 13 family history books (9 of them published by Unlock the Past). He also writes the daily The GENES Blog (GEnealogy News and EventS) at www.britishgenes.blogspot.co.uk, as well as his own personal genealogy blog https://scotlandsgreateststory.wordpress.com/blog
A holder of a Postgraduate Diploma in Genealogical Studies, Chris has tutored for the University of Strathclyde’s postgraduate genealogical studies programme (www.strath.ac.uk/genealogy), and teaches online Scottish genealogy courses through Pharos Teaching and Tutoring Ltd (www.pharostutors.com). He has lectured across Britain, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, US, Portugal and on genealogy cruises.
He currently serves as a member of the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland user forum and a director of the Scottish Archive Network.
Chris was the featured presenter at the Unlock the Past Sydney expo in October 2010 and has been a presenter on three Unlock the Past genealogy cruises. He will also be a lead presenter on our 2018 Alaskan cruise.
Dirk Weissleder (Germany) www.forum-familiengeschichte.de (in German - but can be translated)
Dirk is a genealogy consultant and national chairman of the Deutsche Arbeisgemeinschaft genealogischer Verbände - www.dagv.org. This is the umbrella organisation of the genealogical and heraldic associations in Germany. DAGV has 67 member associations with more than 22,000 members. He is President of the Federation of Family Associations (Bund der Familienverbände, BdF).
As national chairman he is developing partnerships with relevant German organisations worldwide. In May 2015, together with colleagues in Minnesota the German-American Genealogical Partnership (GAGP) was established and in 2016 the German-Australian Genealogy and History Alliance (GAGAHA). The German-American partnership has just been renamed International German Genealogical Partnership. It will host the 2017 International Genealogy conference in Minnesota 28-30 July 2017.
Dirk Weissleder is married with two children. He is interested in history & politics and has run for the national parliament (Deutscher Bundestag) in 2009 and 2013, he is an active local politician in Laatzen and in the Hannover Region, member of the state board of his political party of Lower Saxony, Germany.