Historical Walks: North Adelaide
Colonel Ligth laid out North Adelaide in 1837 as an urban satellite with 341 acre blocks surrounded by Park Lands. It soon became a dormitory suburb for the social elite - wealthy business and professional men who built large mansions, mostly in upper North Adelaide.
Lower North Adelaide centred on Melbourne Street, sometimes called Irishtown, by contrast, tended to be inhabited by labouring classes, artisans and tradesmen who lived in cottages on small allotments. Before 1858 Kermode Street was the commercial hub of North Adelaide, but contruction of a new city bridge and King William Road resulted in O'Connell Street becoming the major business centre.
This is a two hour, one session tour.