Scottish seminar - north-west Sydney
Scotland - British Isles maps, gazetteers & directories
Paul Milner is a professional genealogist, lecturer and author, specialising in British Isles research for over 30 years. Paul was born and raised in northern England and settled in the US in 1975. He is an internationally recognised speaker on British Isles research and migration. He is the lead presenter on the 3rd Unlock the Past history and genealogy cruise in February 2013. This seminar is one of a series he is doing in six cities around Australia either side of the cruise.
UPDATE: by arrangement with Bob Velke (the creator of TMG and president of Wholly Genes software) and the Sydney TMG Users group we are now able to bring users of the Master Genealogist a special TMG stream in the afternoon - see program
WHEN: Saturday 9 February 2013, 9am - 5pm
WHERE: Hornsby RSL, 4 High Street, Hornsby, NSW
- Prebookings have closed - but still places if you come on the day
- - $60 - full day
- $40 - morning or afternoon only
- $20 - TMG afternoon session only
|9.00am||registration, exhibition, book sales plus Flip-Pal demos|
|9.55am||Welcome and seminar introduction|
|10.00am||Finding your ancestors in Scotland: the big five||Paul Milner|
|10.50am||break and exhibition|
|11.30am||Overlooked sources for 19th and 20th century Scottish research||Paul Milner|
|12.10pm||Findmypast.com.au: gateway to the world collection||Rosemary Kopittke|
|12.40pm||Flip-Pal mobile scanner demo||Rosemary Kopittke|
|12.55pm||lunch break and exhibition|
|2.10pm||promotions - UTP and partners/sponsors|
|2.40pm||Are you lost? Using maps, gazetteers and directories for British Isles research||Paul Milner|
|2.40pm||Special TMG (The Master Genealogist) stream in 2nd room - details to come||Bob Velke|
|3.30pm||break and exhibition|
|3.50pm||Scottish Kirk Session and Poor Relief records||Paul Milner|
- Are you lost? Using maps, gazetteers and directories for British Isles research - Learn what maps, gazetteers and directories are available for researching your ancestors in the British Isles. Learn from examples how to make good use of these tools to find where your ancestors are, what they did, when, where, and why they may have moved.
- Finding your ancestors in Scotland: the big five - This is a good overview of procedures to follow in performing Scottish research. Lots of examples illustrate the wide variety of records that can be utilised in the research process.
- Overlooked sources for 19th and 20th century Scottish research - Going beyond the basics learn what records, published and originals are available for 19th and 20th century Scottish research.
- Scottish Kirk Session and Poor Relief records - The Scottish Kirk addressed many moral and practical issues within the community leaving a vast collection of records. Learn how to locate and use these records to add flesh to the lives of your ancestors.
- Bob Velke (the creator of TMG and president of Wholly Genes) has agreed to speak to the Sydney TMG Users group and others interested. Details to come
- Findmypast Australasia: gateway to the World Collection - Learn what a great range of unique records are available for researching family and local history on this new site and learn the best way to do it. Recent developments have seen the data available here more than double!
details to come
Prizes and special offers - click here for details