British Isles seminar - Brisbane
England - Ireland - Scotland - Wales
Paul Milner is a professional genealogist, lecturer and author, specialising in British Isles research for over 30 years. Paul was born and raised in northern England and settled in the US in 1975. He is an internationally recognised speaker on British Isles research and migration. He is the lead presenter on the 3rd Unlock the Past history and genealogy cruise in February 2013. This seminar is one of a series he is doing in six cities around Australia either side of the cruise.
WHEN: Tuesday 19 February 2013, 1.30pm - 9.00pm
WHERE: Broncos Leagues Club, Fulcher Road, Red Hill
- Pre-booked - by Saturday 16 February 2013
- $39.50 - full day
- $29.50 - morning or afternoon only
- on the day - if not booked out
- $60 - full day and evening
- $40 - afternoon or evening only (after 5pm)
|1.30pm||registration, exhibition, book sales plus Flip-Pal demos|
|2.25pm||Welcome and seminar introduction|
|2.30pm||An overview of family history resources at the State Library of Queensland (changed from the topic previously announced)||Stephanie Ryan |
State Library of Qld
|3.00pm||English parish registers: how to access, use and interpret||Paul Milner|
|3.50pm||break and exhibition|
|4.20pm||Finding your Welsh ancestors||Paul Milner|
|5.10pm||promotions - partners/sponsors|
|5.25pm||promotion - UTP|
|5.40pm||Flip-Pal mobile scanner demo||Rosemary Kopittke|
|5.55pm||meal break and exhibition|
|7.10pm||Scottish Kirk Session and Poor Relief records||Paul Milner|
|8.00pm||break and exhibition|
|8.10pm||Irish land records||Paul Milner|
- English parish registers: how to access, use and interpret - Learn how to access, use and correctly interpret the information found in the christening, marriage and burial registers of the English parish church. See examples of the problems to watch for and the clues given for further research. Learn what to do when your ancestor is not found.
- Finding your Welsh ancestors - This presentation examines the major records used in Welsh research, highlighting the similarities and differences between English and Welsh research.
- Irish land records - Understand Ireland’s land records and their importance to researchers, from the 17th through 20th Century. Learn what has survived in originals and transcripts, their strengths, weaknesses and how to access the originals and supporting indexes.
- Scottish Kirk Session and Poor Relief records - The Scottish Kirk addressed many moral and practical issues within the community leaving a vast collection of records. Learn how to locate and use these records to add flesh to the lives of your ancestors.
Stephanie Ryan (State Library of Quensland)
- An overview of family history resources at the State Library of Queensland
details to come
Prizes and special offers
Click here for details