Manning Valley Historical Society Inc (Wingham Museum)
- Address - 12 Farquhar Street, Wingham NSW 2429
- (02) 6553 5823
- Manning Valley Historical Society
- Email contact form
- Museum is open daily - 10am to 4pm (excepting Christmas Day & Easter Friday) Archives/Research is open Tuesdays & Wednesdays 10am to 4pm, other times by appointment.
- 140 approx
- $15 per person, per year. (Journal is an optional extra, cost $15 for subscription + $3 post)
- "Journal" is published 3 issues a year, on subscription $15 plus $3 if posting required
- "Newsletter" goes to all financial members, 6 issues a year, every second month.
Wingham is a Heritage town and was proclaimed a village in 1844. Our Museum is located in a heritage building which was once used as a grocery and produce store, c.1880. It overlooks the town-square which is surrounded on all four sides by other heritage buildings. Visitors to our museum are captivated by the "step back in time". Perhaps it's the Anzac display; the portrait gallery; the Jimmy Governor cell; or perhaps it's the building itself, where visitors tread the same solid timber floors as yesteryear's shoppers once did. It is a starting point for local and family researchers as they search out portraits and other items donated by family. This then takes them to our Archives with it's vast collection of research material which includes a vast photo collection (on computer); local & family history; aboriginal history; schools & church records; shipping & immigration; local maps; cemetery records; newspapers (on film 1865-1960, indexed 1865 - pre1900). Research is available by personal visit or by email/mail for a moderate fee. Society meetings are held on the 3rd Wednesday of each month at 10.15am and all members are invited to attend. New members are always made welcome and invited to become part of our volunteer group to work in our Museum, Archives, or in our Museum shop. We cater for tourists, individually, or in coach groups, and we provide an education centre for the many schools in the area. Our Museum occupies approximately 465 square metres of floor space and is the largest collection of it's kind in the Manning area.