Heraldry & Genealogy Society of Canberra Inc
- Cook Community Hub 41 Templeton St COOK ACT Postal : GPO Box 585 Canberra ACT 2601
- (02) 6251 7004 or fax (02) 6251 5002
- Email contact form
- Free for members. Non-members require a reader's ticket ($15 for 7 days, $30 for 28 days)
- For an initial reply, assessing the problem and the probable amount of research needed, the standard fee is $11.00, to be sent with the written enquiry. Should the inquirer choose to have the research done, the rate is $33.00 per hour, with a minimum charge of $16.50.
- 11.00am-2.00pm Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 7.00pm - 9.00pm Tuesday (except 1st Tuesday of the month) 2.00pm - 5.00pm Saturday and Sunday
- Individual Membership - $55, $50 (pensioner and student), Family Membership - $84, $76 (pensioner)
- The Ancestral Searcher published quarterly - free to members.
- Monthly newsletter
The Heraldry & Genealogy Society of Canberra Inc. was established in 1964 and has members drawn from Canberra and surrounding districts outside the Australian Capital Territory, such as Queanbeyan, Yass, Murrumbateman and Bungendore.
Our library is unique in the ACT and contains a comprehensive collection of over 20 000 titles and many thousands of microforms and CDs, including all available Birth, Death and Marriage (BDM) indexes of the Australian States, a vast collection of Australian and Overseas Cemetery records, Monumental Inscriptions and Parish records.
We also maintain a website that reflects the business of the Society and value added services. Included in the services is access to the library catalogue, information on membership, meeting details, research services, our journal and its index, publications for sale, genealogical links including libraries and archives, members' interests and a sub-site on Australians in the Boer War of 1899-1902.
We also undertake wider "outreach" activities of an adult education nature in the Canberra region and southern and south-west towns of New South Wales particularly our annual Basic Family History Course. As well as our quarterly journal, The Ancestral Searcher, we pursue a vigorous publishing program. Our most popular title is Family History for Beginners and Beyond a comprehensive maunal for all levels of family rersearchers.
Monthly meetings of the Society are held at the Cook Community Hub Hall, Templeton Street, Cook, ACT, on the first Tuesday evening of each month at 8pm.