Gould Genealogy & History
The family business that is now Gould Genealogy & History was started as a hobby interest by Alan and Anthea Phillips from their Adelaide Hills home in September 1976. After the closure of History House Bookshop, Melbourne, at the first Australasian Congress on Genealogy & Heraldry in 1977 an Australia wide market opened up.
Alan left his former employment in February 1982 to manage the business full time in parallel with the remarkable expansion of interest in family and local history in the 1980s. During the 1980s Alan & Anthea’s son, Stephen, and daughter, Alona, joined the business and are still with us today. Stephen had some time away from the business in other employment, but rejoined us in 2002 as business manager, to add to the responsibility he shares for 6 young children in his family.
Several sister companies have also arisen to meet various related needs.
- Gould Publishing Services in 1990. Discontinued in 1996 to focus on genealogy supplies
- Archive CD Books Australia in 2003 – publishing rare books on CD … Name changed to Archive Digital Books Australasia in 2009
- Gould Digital in 2003 – providing digitising services and products to our own companies and others
- In 2003 we ran the Australian Genealogy Roadshow. This was an interesting idea for the time. Other commitments meant we were unable to do further roadshows at the time. However a major nine city roadshow around Australia and New Zealand will be held in November 2010.
- Unlock the Past – In August 2009 we began a joint venture with Shauna Hicks History Enterprises a complete Australasian history and genealogy events resource. Our aim is to help promote your event, provide speakers or even run a roadshow in your area in conjunction with local genealogy and history societies or groups.
- Family Photo Book – A fun, easy way to create photo books or calendars as a special and personal gift for family and friends.
We currently run the following websites: