Australian Institute of Genealogical Studies Inc.
- 1/41 Railway Rd, Blackburn VIC 3130 PO Box 339, Blackburn VIC 3130
- (03) 9877 3789
- Email contact form
- $20 per day for non-members
- Per hour: $22 for members; $36 for non-members. Look Up service $10 members, $15 non-members
- Mon, Tues, Wed, Sat: 10am - 4pm. Fri: 1pm - 4pm. Tues evening: 7pm - 10pm. Closed Thursday & Public Holidays
- Contact Office for amount
- The Genealogist, quarterly
- News & Events, monthly
The Australian Institute of Genealogical Studies Inc. was founded in 1973 and is a member of the Federation of Family History Societies and a founding member of the Australasian Federation of Family History Organisations Inc.
The AIGS has an extensive reference and research library of Australian records plus an archive devoted to the histories of Australian families and related material. We hold one of the widest collections of English and Welsh parish records in Australia - on microfilm, microfiche, CDs, periodicals and journals including many early records which are not available and may never be available on the internet. AIGS has a network of computers offering access to licensed CDs and internet subscriptions such as Ancestry and Findmypast.
Family history research is much more than an outline of a family tree. It’s learning about where your ancestors lived, their education, occupations and the social history which shaped their lives.
Our library is located in Blackburn (less than 200 metres from Blackburn Railway Station) where our friendly and experienced volunteers will guide you in your research. The AIGS holds regular Beginners classes for those starting out on their journey of discovery as well as seminars, workshops and talks on various topics relating to family history.
One-on-one personal tuition is also available.
Visit us and discover the benefits we can offer you as a member:
- A monthly newsletter News & Events
- A quarterly magazine The Genealogist
- Ten Interest Groups
- A research and look up service
- Special arrangements for members who live more than 100 km from Melbourne, including two free hours of research each year
- Reciprocal membership rights with a number of genealogical societies in Australia and New Zealand
For more information visit our award-winning website at www.aigs.org.au