History & Genealogy Expo Adelaide 2010 Evaluation
The first Unlock the Past History & Genealogy Expo was held in Adelaide on Friday 30 and Saturday 31 July 2010 at the West Adelaide Function Centre (Football Club), Richmond, close to the Adelaide CBD. Click here for the Adelaide Expo website
The two day Expo featured
- over 50 exhibitors (see photos below)
- 38 talks from 25 different presenters
- Two special presentations on Who Do you Think You Are? - The making of a compelling Australian TV series – by Diana Pepper of Artemis International (the film maker). Megan Gibson, a researcher for some episodes, was also an exhibitor and presenter in the theatrette in the Exhibition area.
- Theatrette with product demos, interactive presentations, historic video etc - see PROGRAM
- One on one consultations with several experts
About 450 people attended, with the majority coming on both days. 55 returned a printed evaluation form and subsequently an online evaluation form was completed by 113 visitors, speakers and exhibitors. Following are the results of the online visitor survey. The printed survey, though less detailed, generally agreed with the online results.
Which days were you there?
- Friday only 18%
- Saturday only 21%
- both days 61%
Would you attend a future expo?
- definitely 67%
- probably 22%
- maybe 11%
- probably not 0%
- no 0%
How often would you like to see an Expo or similar event?
- each year 58%
- every 2 years 34%
- every 3 years 6%
- Other 2%
This was the first event of this kind we have organised. We did not get everything right (see below), and exhibitors and speakers vary, but the responses were very positive overall.
We were given a tick as follows
- Exhibition - 99% - excellent, very good or good
- Speakers - 100% - excellent, very good or good
- Venue - 90% - excellent, very good or good
- Meals - 69% - excellent, very good or good (would have been better if we had given better information on what was on offer)
- Would you attend a future expo? - 89% - definitely or probably (11% maybe)
No commitment has been made at this stage to another Expo in Adelaide, but we have learnt from our experience this time and the many feedback comments. Our Sydney Expo in October and any other expos will improve in the following key areas:
- talks to be a mix of 30 and 45 minutes each. with 15 minute break between (rather than 25 minutes and 5 minutes between)
- set a lower exhibition entry price, together with a modest charge for each talk.
- program to be set before opening for bookings
- give better general advance info to visitors, speakers, exhibitors - getting there, parking, food, program, other features etc
- better signage and directions to rooms and more up front program display at entry
- program in the expo guide to be in a more prominent place - probably inside cover
Cornish Association Ciaran and Jacqui of Clean Cruising - our cruise agents
Annie Payne, History From the Heart Cassie Mercer, Irish Wattle
Ron and Sue Austin, Slouch Hat Publications Shauna and Max
Liz and helper from Customised Heritage Tours
Clare Regional History Group
Paul from FamilySearch
Kerry (TMG & NIGS) and Rosemary (Findmypast.com.au)
Jenny, Alona and Anthea, Gould Genealogy & History
Sylvie an Neil Smith, Mostly Unsung
Pioneers? At least members of the Pioneers Association
Army Museum of South Australia
Diana Pepper(Artemis Fims) with Beryl and Nancy of SAGHS
Sharon and Tim
The Unlock the Past team - Alan, Stephen, Shauna, Rosemary, Sharon and Aimée