Unlock the Past 2011-12 Events
Have your say - help shape our 2011-12 program
We have committed to nine major events for 2011 and into 2012. Most are in association with local partner organisations. We welcome your feedback and expressions of interest - whether definite or just maybe at this stage. Please record these in the poll at the right. Add any comments, including possible exhibitor interest at the expos, in the "other" box. Or email Alan at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Unlock the Past History and Genealogy Cruise March 2011. Still a few cabins left. To tempt yourself to join the 240 others already booked take a look at the program.
- Researching and Writing History seminar - the first of these iis planned for Adelaide on Friday-Saturday 13-14 May (to be confirmed) part of About Time: South Australia's History Festival , with the option for one day only registrations. It will be aimed at anyone interested in researching and writing any form of history - whether a book, research guides, memoirs, articles for society or other magazines or your local newspaper, or newer electronic and online mediums - or just for personal use and interest. Almost everyone interested in history, genealogy or heritage or just wanting to record personal or family memoirs before it is too late, can benefit.
We are bringing together qualified writers from our Unlock the Past team as well others. As well as a general introduction and tips for writing generally we will look at various topics such as: writing for magazines or the local newspaper, writing for the web or electronic media, biography, local history, family history, community (sport, institutional, etc) history, social history, writing research or resource guides, family or personal memoirs, etc. We will also look at practical aspects of publishing, especially self publishing.
Although the initial seminar is planned for Adelaide, this topic should be of widespread practical interest everywhere. We can run this wherever there is sufficient interest and support from local partners. We will use local experts alongside our own team in each place.
- Mid Northern New South Wales Expo - Friday and Saturday 3-4 June at Coffs Harbour. Serving the whole region from the Central to North NSW coast and inland.
- Northern Queensland Expo - Friday and Saturday 24-25 June at Cairns Serving the whole region from the Central to North Queensland coast and inland.
- South East South Australia - Far Western Victoria Expo - Friday and Saturday 22-23 July at Tension Woods College, Mount Gambier. The aim is to serve SA from Adelaide to the South and East, and much of Western Victoria.
- Victorian Expo (Geelong) - Friday and Saturday 2-3 September at The Arena basketball stadium Geelong. The aim is to serve much of Victoria.
- Note: The above Expos are being planned as a result of requests and strong support from major organisations in each place. They will be similar in nature to the recent Sydney Expo with a wide range of exhibitors and presentations from experts that may not often visit these places. Click here for a brief report and video of an Expo.
- Unlock the Past History and Genealogy Cruise November 2011 - 21 Nov - 5 Dec 2011. A 14 day cruise from Auckland, NZ to Sydney, stopping at eight ports in between (possibly with on shore meeings in most ports). This will run a wide ranging general program as the March cruise does, but it will feature Irish and Scottish themes as well - with experts from both countries to join us as lead presenters. Chris Paton, so highly regarded for his recent Australian tour, has provisionally agreed to come as the Scottish expert. Two others from Ireland have also provisionally agreed to come as the Irish experts.
- War comes to Australia Conference - 16 Feb 2012. A one-day conference This being planned for Sydney the day before departure on the NT War Comes to Australia tour, It is independent of the tour, as a standalone conference - open to anyone, but is also an ideal prelude to the event. It touch on the attacks on Australia at Darwin, Broome and Sydney, etc, but will look at other wars and the broader impact of war on Australia and Australians generally. For those also continuning on the tour it will give great context to tour itself.
- War comes to Australia: WWII 70th anniversary tour - 17-22 Feb 2012 to Darwin and region south. Unlock the Past is teaming up with our cruise partner and Australia's leading battlefield tour operator to organise this 6 day tour various museums and important historical sites in Darwin and south of Darwin, as well as participate in the town's celebrations on the 19 February 2012. The tour will be lead by a professional military historian. There will be two 3-hour seminar sessions in Darwin which will also feature Darwin based experts covering not only the NT War, but also in measure the attacks on Broome, Sydney and other places - as well as the impact of the war in Australia and Australians generally.
- One day seminars led by an Unlock the Past expert - expressions of interest from potential local host partners (societies and organisations) welcome. If you vote for this, you should indicate what region you are in - in the "other" box.
- Regional roadshows - led by two Unlock the Past team members - expressions of interest from potential local host partners (societies and organisations) welcome. If you vote for this, you should indicate what region you are in - in the "other" box.